- Historic monument category A; code LMI CT-II-m-A-02831
- Built between 1911 and 1920, by architect Victor Ștefănescu, one of the important representatives of Romanian elites at the turn of the century.
- Ovidiu Square, no. 12
The building made in the Brâncovenesc style, in the 1911-1920 period, is one of the symbolic pieces of the area. It was initially the headquarters of the City Hall of Constanța.
In 1911, having taken leadership of the National Museum of Antiquity, Vasile Pârvan reiterated the idea of founding a new museum.
In the year 1957 the museum will be permanently moved in this building where it operates to this day.
The period in which the museum saw an accelerated rhythm of modernization, development and during which it enjoyed increased attention from the authorities was the communist period.
From the establishment of the museum and until the instauration of communism, central and local authorities were unable to find a space in which the museum to be placed permanently. The bureaucratic and administrative chaos caused the loss of many important exhibits of the museum.
Eventually, after the fall of communism and the transition to democracy, the current building of the museum entered a period of fast degradation, in spite of having been declared a historic monument of the A category. Important exhibits have disappeared from the museum over the years, corruption started to grind down the cultural segment and nobody has yet answered in front of the law for the exhibits’ disappearance.